Here's to good food!

I am finally putting my tried and true family recipes here. Check out my old-time favorites as well as newly discovered ones.

I hope you'll find some recipes here that you enjoy cooking, and those you cook for will find them tasty and satisfying.
Are you looking for something special? Something quick and easy? You'll find it here somewhere.
Check in often to see what's cooking in Monterey!

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti

If you are posting from this site, please give appropriate credit and notify me. Thank you.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Maple Chile Butter to go with Bacon Cheddar Biscuits

Maple chile butter with bacon cheddar biscuits
This is a specialty at one of the local restaurants.  They are priced at $3 each now.  For a biscuit!  I wasn't going to try it.  I make biscuits from scratch 6-8 times a year, sometimes more if we have lots of overnight guests.  Or it might be scones, which are basically biscuits with some extra flavorings added and cut into wedges instead of into rounds.  So making biscuits is no big deal for me.

Foodiewife tried the biscuits at the restaurant, and she shared her version of the biscuits and butter. The recipe for the maple chile butter is the clincher.  Tom really liked that.  I cut back on the chile powder so it was not too hot, but the maple butter part is a winner.  I'll be keeping that on hand or making up a batch to serve with biscuits from now on.  It would also be good on toast, pancakes, and waffles.

You can add 3/4-1 cup of grated cheese and 6-8 slices of bacon, fried crispy and chopped, (about 1/2 cup) to your favorite biscuit recipe. (Or use my buttermilk biscuit recipe )  I liked just forming a rectangle and cutting it into squares as Debbie suggested.  Although she said folding instead of kneading makes for a more tender biscuit, I know that you MUST knead the dough in order for the biscuits to rise.  The folding process is more or less like kneading it, so the biscuits did rise.

Maple Chile Butter
1/2 cup butter at room temperature (soften in micro for just a few seconds if necessary)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4-1/2 tsp ground chipotle powder (you could probably try other chile powders)

Put butter in a deep bowl and mix in syrup and powder with mixer until combined.  Refrigerate any leftovers, or freeze for longer storage.

bacon-cheddar-biscuits-with-maple

No comments:

Post a Comment