Here's to good food!

I am finally putting my tried and true family recipes here. Check out my old-time favorites as well as newly discovered ones.

I hope you'll find some recipes here that you enjoy cooking, and those you cook for will find them tasty and satisfying.
Are you looking for something special? Something quick and easy? You'll find it here somewhere.
Check in often to see what's cooking in Monterey!

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti

If you are posting from this site, please give appropriate credit and notify me. Thank you.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Deep Dark Chocolate Mousse


This dessert is very chocolatey, as the name suggests.  I think you could reduce the amount of chocolate chips, but my husband thinks it needs all of the chocolate.  It is very simple and quick to make.  It just needs a few hours to chill.  A late Valentine's treat.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips*
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract**
  • 1 cup (1/2 pt.)cold whipping cream (Get 1 pint to have some for topping)
  • Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Directions
  1. Stir together sugar and gelatin in small saucepan; stir in milk. Let stand 2 minutes to soften gelatin. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just begins to boil.
  2.  Remove from heat. Immediately add chocolate chips; stir until melted. Stir in vanilla; cool to room temperature.
  3.  Beat whipping cream in small bowl until stiff; gradually add chocolate mixture, folding gently just until blended. Spoon into serving dishes. Refrigerate. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
4 to 6 servings.

*Use milk or semi-sweet if you prefer.  Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips are our preferred chips chosen in a blind tasting.  We like dark chocolate best.

**I think 1 tablespoon of Amaretto might be a good substitute for the vanilla.  Or your favorite liquor flavoring.

1 comment:

  1. This looks rich and delicious.It is really a lovely recipe. I am new to your blog, so I've spent some time browsing through your earlier posts.I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete