These have been served as appetizers forever, it seems. Always a hit, and pretty easy to keep the ingredients on hand when you need something at the last minute.
2 jars (6 oz. each) artichoke hearts marinated in oil*
½ C finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 C fine dried bread crumbs
1/2 t each pepper and dried oregano
1/4 t Tabasco (optional)
2 T chopped capers
2 C (8 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 10” glass pie plate or 9" square pan with oil.
2. Drain marinade from artichokes into a cup. Chop all artichokes, cutting off tough leaves.
3. Heat about 2 T oil from reserved marinade into a frying pan over medium heat. (Okay to get some of the marinade into the pan. Discard rest of marinade.) Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat, then add artichokes, bread crumbs, pepper, oregano, Tabasco, capers, and cheese.
4. Whisk eggs in a bowl to blend. Stir into the onion mixture.
5. Pour mixture into the prepared pie plate and bake, uncovered, until it feels set when lightly touched, about 30 minutes. Let sit at least 10 minutes before cutting into small squares or pie sized pieces, if serving for dinner.
Make ahead: Up to 1 day, chilled. Reheat, uncovered, 12 minutes at 325°.
*Trader Joe's has a 12 oz. jar.